11.10.2011

Gluten Free Mexican Menu

My family isn’t Mexican, but many happy childhood memories center around that spicy cuisine.  Reminiscing about restaurants my family and friends enjoyed together on Sundays after church, special occasions, and everyday treats made me hungry for some old favorites.  So I went surfing for the recipes, and found these gluten free beauties to share.

One Mexican dish I haven’t had since childhood is stuffed bell peppers.  Why so long?  I honestly don’t know.  But then I ran across Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers by Natalie at Gluten Free Mommy.  After a quick read-through, I realized I had everything on hand to make it for dinner tonight: bell peppers, brown rice, tomato sauce, kidney beans, black beans, green chilies, Chipotles in adobo sauce, onions, cilantro and Monterey Jack cheese.  Mm-mm-good!

Spinach and Cheddar Quesadillas, from Karina at Gluten Free Goddess, is next on my to-make list.  Featuring corn tortillas, grape tomatoes and a dash of Old Bay seasoning, this quick and easy, cheesy lunch is a keeper.

Sarah Zahn at Suite 101 offers this heavenly recipe for another favorite, Enchiladas.  They’re super easy to assemble, and baked in a casserole with green salsa at the bottom and top.  With smoked paprika, cumin and chili powder wafting to your nose, how can you possibly resist?

Yet another fond childhood Mexican food memory is Sopapillas.  While I’m accustomed to eating these sumptuous puff pastries with cinnamon-sugar and honey, Tiffany at Life After Gluten makes hers with Sweet Butter and Tart Lemon Pulp.  Either way, they’re finger lickin’ good.

Last but not least, it has been many years since my taste buds melted over Fried Ice Cream.  This recipe comes from Amy at the Savvy Celiac   The only special ingredient is gluten-free cornflakes.  What better excuse to break out the ice cream, honey, strawberries and chocolate?

Soup du Jour (Gluten Free): Black Bean Soup
Black beans, onions, tomatoes, carrots, corn, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers.
Gluten Free Cafe Black Bean Soup -- 15 oz



Gluten-Free on a Shoestring: 125 Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment